Skip to Content
mobile menu
Sign In

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Find answers to commonly asked questions about training, registration and more.

Houston Area Safety Council (HASC) Business Hours

Headquarters Campus
5213 Center Street
Pasadena, TX 77505
Monday through Friday, 6am to 6pm

  • Multimedia courses are self-paced and trainees may start any time between 6am and 4pm for most classes.
  • Occupational Health Services are available on a first-come, first-served basis, from 7:30am to 4:30pm
  • Earlier cutoff times may apply.

1211 W. NASA Parkway
Webster, TX 77598
Monday through Friday, 7am to 5pm

  • Multimedia courses are self-paced and trainees may start any time between 7am and 3pm for most classes.
  • Occupational Health Services are available on a first-come, first-served basis, from 7am to 5pm
  • Earlier cutoff times may apply.

Texas City Occupational Health Services
3300 FM 1765
Texas City, TX 77590
Monday through Thursday, 7am to 5pm
Friday, 7am to 3:30pm

  • Occupational Health Services are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Earlier cutoff times may apply.

Reciprocity and the Association of Reciprocal Safety Councils, Inc. (ARSC)

ARSC Member councils are councils whose training meets the standards set for certain non-site-specific courses such as Basic Plus. These courses are transferable from one Member council to another. Your employee does not have to retake a transferable course if he or she has passed the course within the year at an ARSC Member council. For more information on ARSC and a list of Member councils and transferable courses, visit their website.

Training & Registration

  • What do I do if I have lost my HASC badge?
    To get a replacement, bring proper ID to the HASC check-in window. The charge is $10.00.
  • I've lost my ID. Can I still come to class?
    We require a state or government-issued picture ID (U.S. driver’s license or identification card, U.S. military ID, Department of Corrections card, or international passport).
  • I was supposed to come in for training this morning, but missed class. Can you reschedule me?
    HASC registrations are active for five calendar days or until they are canceled by the registering company.
  • Do you take special requests or offer by-appointment courses?
    Some courses are not held regularly, but are available by appointment with a minimum of students required. In addition, courses can be arranged outside of regular business hours, when needed. Please contact Training for more information.
  • Does HASC take credit cards?
    Yes. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Contact the Accounting Department for more information.
  • Can you tell me how long my employees were there for testing?
    Unfortunately, our system does not show the actual time employees checked in or the time they checked out. You can only estimate the time spent here by the number of classes completed and the minimum testing time for each of those classes. Multimedia classes are self-paced, so although there is a minimum completion time for all computer-based training courses, the time will vary with each individual.
  • How often do we need to take this training?
    Most of the training offered at HASC is renewable annually, with the expiration date stated on the HASC ID badge.
  • How can I tell if I need 24- or 40-hour HAZWOPER?
    Per OSHA Compliance Encyclopedia, OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120(e) Training (3) Initial training:

    (i) General site workers (such as equipment operators, general laborers and supervisory personnel) engaged in hazardous substance removal or other activities with exposure or potential exposure of workers to hazardous substances and health hazards shall receive a minimum of 40 hours of instruction off the site, and a minimum of three days of actual field experience under the direct supervision of a trained experienced supervisor.

    (ii) Workers on site only occasionally for a specific limited task (such as, but not limited to, groundwater monitoring, land surveying, or geophysical surveying) and who are unlikely to be exposed over permissible exposure limits and published exposure limits shall receive a minimum of 24 hours of instruction off the site, and the minimum of one day of actual field experience under the direct supervision of a trained, experienced supervisor.
  • What if HAZWOPER refresher training isn't received in 12 months?
    If the date for refresher training has lapsed, the need to repeat initial training must be determined based on the employee's familiarity with safety and health procedures used on site. The employee should take the next available refresher training course. There should be a record in the employee's file indicating why the training has been delayed and when the training will be completed.
  • I have personnel who have an English comprehension problem. Can we send someone to help them with the test?
    Per our Owner Facilities, we are obligated to test according to their requirements. Only plant representatives can make exceptions to these requirements. You must ask them to email giving permission to test "with assistance" to HASC prior to registering your personnel. The verbal assistance must be given by an HASC employee. HASC does not translate English courses for Spanish speakers who are given verbal assistance.
  • Do you offer training off-site?
    Most of the classes we offer can be done at your site. The multimedia site-specific classes need special permission from the site representative in order to present the material in a classroom. There are special charges involved in off-site training, which would be explained when you make your request to the Training Department.
  • Do you have any study material we can use to prepare our employees for your safety tests?
    There is a study guide available for the ARSC Basic Safety Plus course required by most plants. We do not furnish any material to prep your employees for testing here. There are several places that have excellent training material you can purchase for use in your safety training. Try your local U.S. Government bookstore or OSHA office.